blackcaesar
blackcaesar.net
whatever...

Sunday, January 08, 2006

memories of "the kid"

Sometimes as I get ready for bed, I think of my daughter as I remember what it was like to tuck her into her bed at night. I remember how she was scared of the dark, so I comforted her the best that I could. She slept so soundly. Sometimes, I see other kids playing in my neighborhood, and I look to see if they were playing games that she would enjoy. When I was at the grocery store the other day, I overheard a little girl asking her mother for some school snacks. It made me smile, but inside it hurt that I had no one to buy school snacks for. Today, I brought some Girl Scout cookies from a real live girl scout, I know I don’t need the cookies, but that girl reminded me of “the kid”. I brought an extra box on top of the box I didn’t need. I gave a rundown of all the places to go roller-skating in town just yesterday, like I was an expert. I took down the 2005 calendar she made for me, personalized with her mug shot. I will put it in the photo album. Her bedroom remains untouched, as if she will return to it. She will not. I will remember fondly dancing with her in the living room still.
“The kid” will remain with her mother for the time being, and I hear from “the kid” very little and see her none. Sometimes I feel that is the best thing. When I remember “the kid”, which I do often, I always feel sad. Her mother lives so far away. When I think of the circumstances surrounding the separation of me from my family I am saddened. I always think of what could I have done to rectify the situation. Her mother just left. Sure, times were tough, but I didn’t beat her mother or… whatever… I can’t rationalize the irrational. I wish her mother well, but I still wonder if she knows the emptiness and sadness she imparted when she took away my daughter. Memories are still fond, even in sadness. Yeah, I really call her “the kid”. (smile) I wish she were here now. I'd kiss her on her forehead and send her to bed, making sure the nightlight was on...

7 Comments:

Blogger Alli dropped...

- call write, fax, email, forget what you think is best...... do what you know is right..missing your father impacts a daughter for the rest of her life.....

9/1/06 19:33  
Blogger nikki dropped...

write to her. just write to her. the letters will be cherished i guarantee.

11/1/06 07:12  
Blogger blackcaesar dropped...

im writing her a letter before i sleep tonight!

11/1/06 19:28  
Blogger Drea Inspired dropped...

I'm agreeing with sparkle...there really is nothing like a daddy's love especially for little girls--giving that advice and providing that protection that is so signature of daddies. Do everything you can to be there for her even from a distance.

Letters are priceless...

12/1/06 17:30  
Blogger Jane dropped...

My heart was breaking for you as I read this. Please never stop trying to let your little girl know that you love her and will always be there for her. It would have boosted my self confidence immensely if my father, even though he wasn't there physically, would have taken the time to let me know he loved me and thought I was special. As it was I grew up thinking I was nothing special at all.

20/1/06 14:37  
Anonymous Anonymous dropped...

Very nice site!
» »

13/12/06 05:38  
Anonymous Anonymous dropped...

What a great site » » »

23/4/07 14:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters