blackcaesar
blackcaesar.net
whatever...

Sunday, January 08, 2006

dance into the horizon

My dancing timeline

I was born 197x.

Early 198x: I danced in the Soul Train line at my parents wedding (ghetto but true)

1982: I danced like Michael Jackson, to the delight of my parents (how weird)

1984: I was exposed to the world of break dancing via the cult classic Breakin’.

My first public display of break dancing as me and my stepbrother’s “crew’ gave a live break dancing demonstration in the movie theater lobby.

I became part of a “crew”; I was a full-fledged, linoleum carrying, break dance battler in my ‘hood.

1987: I received my first non break dance lesson from a FINE young thang in my hood. She taught me to do the “Alf” and the “Cabbage Patch”. I did no more break dancing….

1988: I was well versed in all of the Kid and Play kick steps and was skilled as Scoop and Scrap Lover in hip-hop dance.

I danced at my first and last school dance with a female. I was no good at it… (I was in the ninth grade or so...)

1991: My sister and I entered a talent show in which I rapped and danced while wearing MC Hammer inspired, paisley printed, gold lame outfits. (With HARD hoodsJ)

1992: I took a class on how to waltz given by the lovely ladies of Delta Sigma Theta (I will always have a special spot in my heart for a DST lady.)

2000: I took my then wife for our first and last night of dancing….

2003: I taught my daughter the waltz.

2006: I contemplate dancing lessons after realizing, I really can not dance and I really could never dance.

This past weekend I went out for a dinner with some friends. Afterwards they wanted to go dancing… It was salsa dancing at that. There were plenty of beautiful women to dance salsa with but I am unskilled at dancing. What can I say? I looked fun. I saw Master P on Dancing with The Stars this weekend. Let’s just say, he is no Jerry Rice and neither am I. I was always envious of those who could dance well. Jealousy is no way to live your life. I may just take up ballroom dancing. It can't be that gay. Evander Holyfield does it and he can knock out everyone I know! Every time I see True Lies, I always wish that I could tango Like Schwarzenegger with Tia Carrere (who was fabulous on Dancing With the Stars by the way…) My only issue with dancing is the same issue that I have with woman in general. It's like a woman will show up and be like “please me” and I am supposed to dance her out of her glass slipper. Well, I am no more the prince than she is the Cinderella. Yet-and-still, becoming a proficient dancer may be the answer to a lot of my internal conflicts. Strange but true… I always felt as if my inability to dance always held me back socially. Maybe I will fall for a non-cooking dance instuctor. I secretly yearn for the day that i will dance into the horizon. That would taste so good.

5 Comments:

Blogger blackcaesar dropped...

the most enjoyable dancing i have ever done was when i was dancing with my daughter. i miss that kid.

8/1/06 17:36  
Blogger Alli dropped...

I used to dance with my father standing on his toes... My father loved the tango, he would dance with me across the living room where we had a record player playing his old 45's then he would make me dip....

8/1/06 22:22  
Blogger blackcaesar dropped...

i bet dancing with your father is one of his fondest memories...

11/1/06 19:27  
Anonymous Anonymous dropped...

Well said. Lately it has become obvious to me that a straight man who can dance has an immense advantage over those who can't.

The ability to dance might be able to make up for a missing tooth or a few minutes of bed stamina.

12/1/06 08:10  
Anonymous Anonymous dropped...

Keep up the good work virus scan Baccarat clock crystal spyware detector Stationery retail anxiety lexapro vw golf styling Hag pantonic 5010 modern chair Maduritas orgies Valtrex lamictal Interior designer five corners How to play texas hold 'em poker license plate frames whorses ritalin drug rhinoplasty Digital photo art print tuner

23/4/07 17:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Hit Counters